A follow up from this starting point
with notes for me to refer to: News article added
a. 2" @ f16 iso 200 cable release. 50mm on a 40D, full frame image.
b. Front 580Ex 1/32 power with diffuser
c. Rear 580Ex 1/64 power zoomed in to 105mm as a spotlight. Reduced to 1/64 because it was much closer than the main flashgun.
d. Flashes triggered from microphone (200mm away), 0.009 seconds delay.
One I'm very pleased with:
1. The balloon skin needs to be very stretched so that the internal forces in the skin help to peel the balloon away from the water.
2. Black background and backlighting works nicely.
3. Adding food colouring to the water is also a good idea.
4. Put a bin under the balloons unless you live in a swimming pool !!!
5. Adding several milliseconds
more to the delay might reduce the peak at the top but the sphere is very close to collapsing already.
Number of balloons killed 17 since I started playing